“When learning is purposeful, creativity blossoms. When creativity blossoms, thinking emanates. When thinking emanates, knowledge is fully lit.” A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
This week, after a long time coming, we handed in our first
final essay. I can say with confidence that this piece was one of the most well
written and meaningful pieces I have ever written and I really shocked myself. It
is crazy what you can do if you really put your mind to it. The final product
is one I can say exemplifies hard work and dedication. Up until this point, I would
always get frustrated and discouraged about writing a thesis, but after a lot
of revising, I was finally capable to come up with a strong working thesis.
Furthermore,
in-class we started talking about fallacies and the elements of arguments that
appeal to your audience. These include logos, pathos, and ethos. Last semester,
we focused heavily on these aspects and how they were intertwined in
advertising or media. So, when asked to find examples of fallacies for
homework, I relied on my prior knowledge to complete it. Additionally, when looking
at fallacies, I am aware of what they are, but have a difficult time figuring
out which category they fall under. We then read the essay “Children Should
Play, Not Compete,” and picked apart the different elements the author used. She
had an interesting introductory strategy and way of displaying her thesis which
our class agreed was a bit confusing. The author also definitely established
strong credibility by using multiple sources, but had none of her own analysis or
thoughts on the source material, and therefore hurt her argument. When I first
read this essay that was the first thing to jump out at me. We were always
taught that when writing, the more examples, the better but our class recognized
this not to be the case because it can be overpowering. Rather, you should add
your own opinion and have the sources support your opinion. Our in-class activity
really facilitated practicing a new technique called an “after the fact outline”
which was super helpful in looking at the authors organizational strategies and
can also help establish what needs to be worked on. I do feel myself getting
stronger in more areas of reading and writing, so keep it coming!
No comments:
Post a Comment