Our week in English consisted of one word, essays. On Tuesday,
we had the chance to peer review the second drafts of essay three. This peer
review session worked out tremendously as we were able to switch essays with different
people in the class to get a feel for other writing styles and also we were
given the rubric to which we will be held accountable. This made the peer
review straighter forward and based on the same criteria throughout. Kim
definitely had ideas for me to add to my essay as I had reached just about
three pages with nowhere to go. I got a chance to take a breather away from the
essay and her ideas really helped me to further the essay and escape writer’s
block. It was beneficial to see what my peers thought I would lose points on
the most, which were adding more ethos and personal connection to the problem I
was describing. It was easy to describe the problem because everyone loves to
complain sometimes, but coming up with a valid and realistic solution was my
challenge during this assignment.
Moving forward
to Thursday, with draft three of essay three in hand, I was feeling much better
about the final product. I was able to elongate the essay and include more
specific information such as statistics and personal connections. In class, we
wrote a reflective letter to the professor so that we may address more areas
that can be improved before handing in the final draft. I wrote that I needed
feedback on my thesis statement because I was unsure about how specific it was,
and also am unsure how the essay flows/ if it has flowing organization and what
I can do to fix these. These will be discussed during our conferences next week
which I am looking forward to so that I can ensure that I am completing this
essay correctly and going in the right direction with it. We then were
introduced to the final essay which a self-reflective piece that is universal
to all English 112 classes. While talking in small groups, I figured out that I
wanted my topic to be revolved around the ways in which what I have learned
during this semester will help me throughout my career as a Speech-Language
Pathologist. It was a good way to brainstorm and nail down a topic, all that is
left is to gather evidence and create a final piece that I can compile all the
knowledge from this semester and be proud!
No comments:
Post a Comment