Monday, February 3, 2014

Autobiographical Mixtape


Autobiographical Mixtape
1.       One Sweet Day- Mariah Carey & Boyz II Men http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX6m1xNwmgY

To my guardian angels- Nonna, Nonno, and Kenny O, I think about you each day and I know you’re shining down on me from heaven. You were all taken from me way too soon but the laughs, good times, and memories we shared will forever stay in my heart. This song is for you in that I know we will be together one sweet day. You all taught me to appreciate each day I am given and also the loved ones surrounding me and I am thankful for that. This song reminds me that even though you are not physically here, you will always be with me and always watch over me.
                                                        



2.       Every Storm (Runs Out Of Rain) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ_Bnu_RbQM
This song represents one of the darkest times in my life, when I tore my knee up, was required surgery, and eventually told I could never play soccer again. I will never forget sitting in the orthopedics’ office feeling like the world had crashed down on me. Soccer was such a huge part of my life for over ten years and I could have never pictured my life without it. As this song says, “every storm runs out of rain” and I was eventually able to cope with the fact that I could never step foot on the field to play again. However, I was able to still be around my team, surround myself with the sport, and continue pursuing dance, all of which made it a little easier. 

3.      


     Laughed Until We Cried- Jason Aldean    
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNLiNJUsIeA
Having friends in different grades is always such fun because you have a variety of perspectives but all get along. This song was played at each one of our graduation parties and is one that I will always remember them by. We have memories throughout high school that I will never forget: road trips, hikes, pool, dinner dates, concerts, beach etc. No matter where life takes us, I know these few friends will always be there for me, as I will for them, and listening to this song helps me deal with being away from them for so long!




4.       Explosions in the Sky- Your Hand in Mine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzIK5FaC38w

This was the last dance I got to perform on stage, a ballet, before leaving for college. Dance has been such an important part of my life since I was five years old. It has helped me to get through hardships in my life and also has taught me to get back up when you fall down. The strength both mentally and physically I have obtained through dance will never be forgotten. Although my dancing career has come to a close, I will still surround myself with this beautiful art. This song always reminds me of overcoming challenges in life and the way the song builds gives me motivation to face whatever comes my way in my life. 

5.     
        Bless the Broken Road- Rascal Flatts
Just last year, my best friend of four years became my boyfriend. We are not in the most ideal situation as he moved back to California a few years ago but I wouldn’t change a thing. Our long distance allows us to visit new places together and have memories that normal couples would not have. Even after four years, he still manages to put a smile on my face each day and our relationship has become so strong. He has become such a big and positive part of my life and has helped me become who I am today. Once you find that person, it will work, no matter the circumstances.


6 comments:

  1. Steph, I love all of the songs you chose and really enjoyed reading about the connections you made to them. I feel that your strongest entry was the second one. I found this really interesting because I can relate to having surgery and not being able to play a sport again. This will make a strong topic in your essay I believe because it was an event in your life that you overcame with a positive attitude. In your essay I would further explain how this injury happened, and why you couldn't play soccer any longer. adding supporting details about how you and your team felt after the injury happened could also make it a stronger topic. Song number one is also a strong topic. I like the song you chose and the details you used to show how much you look up to these people. In your extended essay, I think it will be helpful to explain your relationship to each individual, and a specific reason why you look up to them. Both of these topic are already very strong and will make your essay very relatable to the reader!

    potential thesis: I was beyond devastated when I discovered that this would be the end of my soccer dreams, but "every storm runs out of rain" and I was able to work past the idea of never stepping on the soccer field again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph,
    The entry/song I liked the most and though was strongest is #2. Since soccer was such a big part of your life and then you couldn't play anymore is a big deal. I think this would make a good topic in a possible essay because you could write about what you felt while realizing that you wouldn't be able to play the sport ever again along with how it changed your life. I also think your last entry would make a strong topic in an essay. I like how you're both staying positive while in a long distance relationship. I think you could add how you guys started off as friends and explain how it turned into a relationship. I think the fact you guys were friends for awhile first is a good thing for a lasting relationship especially since its long distance.

    possible thesis: You can work through anything as long as you stay positive and find similar alternatives to the situation at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph, the entry i enjoyed the most was the second one because i can relate to having knee surgery and not being able to play a sport again. Also, i think would enjoy reading about this topic. This will make a great topic for an essay you can write about the feelings you had when you found out you couldn't play soccer anymore. The other topic i enjoyed was the first one because i can relate because i also lost people who were close to me.
    Possible thesis: You can overcome anything that is thrown your way as long have a positive thought on it

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi steph, i feel your second topic was your best because i feel that a lot of sports players can relate to events like this. i think this will make a great essay topic because it is interesting and really explains an important moment in your life which will allow you to be able to explain your feelings before during and after the surgery. the second topic i enjoyed was fifth post because i can relate to this song as well. i know what its like to fall in love with your best friend of many years and even though we dont have a long distance relationship like you and your boyfriend i feel i can relate to how you are feeling and the type of relationship the two of you have.

    possible thesis: when hearing the news that i could never play soccer again i was devastated, but being able to stay positive and having so many supporters really helped me overcome the situation.

    ReplyDelete